Friday, July 10, 2009

Don't drink, don't smoke, What do ya do? (sorry, I've been singing that for 2 days & its stuck in my head)

Home canning, this year I have made my first foray in to home canning with relative success. Armies of apricots marched on to the chopping block to the beat of my domestic drum, pitted, halved, packed with juice they were canned in to 13 quarts of golden, delicious, summer.

Chopped & simmered, lightly flavor with a tiny dash of spice, they were jammed (only it came out more like syrup but it is still absolutely heavenly).

Pureed & boiled, then poured on to baking sheets & dried making a scrumptious fruit leather. Yet more halves, in to the dehydrator they went, resulting in luscious dried apricots good for snacking on.



I tried my hand at pressure canning meat, only 2 quarts just in case I didn't get it right. One sealed beautifully & now the chicken is sitting on my shelf awaiting whatever recipe it may become, the other didn't seal & was soon made in to a lovely enchilada pie.

I'm converted to the joys of home canning, I shall never buy canned goods again (well, not quite, but a girl can dream).

No comments:

Post a Comment